Using Old Tins For Storage

I had forgotten all about an item from my childhood until I spotted one in a 50p box at a car boot sale this summer. How could I have forgotten that as a young child if I fell and cut myself, which I was doing all the time as I was such a tomboy, my Mum would put a plaster on me from a little tin. What a brilliant idea, I moan all the time about the cardboard box of plasters in the kitchen drawer that seems to fall to bits after one day of use! Who thought changing from this cute little tin would be a good idea?

1960s Elastoplast Tin
1960s Elastoplast Tin
 
Since I bought the tin I have been keeping our sticking plasters in it and I wish I could just buy a little paper packet of plasters to keep restocking it.Think of all the cardboard it would save! It has started me thinking of how tins are used for storage over the years. 

I love Quality Street tins and always buy them for storage when I see one. Often when I buy one, the items that have been stored in it are still there. I have one from the 1950s still with dried lavender in it and one from the 1970s that was full of buttons. This one is from the 1960s and I remember the design so well. 

1960s Quality Street Tin
1960s Quality Street Tin

Inside it was a set of old dominoes. Well used and loved. A lovely little piece of the tin's history. 

Old Dominoes Stored In Quality Street Tin
Old Dominoes Stored In Quality Street Tin

Who hasn't stored items in these old sweet tins. I do all the time. We have our Christmas Tree lights in a Quality Street Tin which we had one Christmas in the 1990s. All of them seem to have their own little piece of history attached to them. Plain plastic boxes could never be half so nice.


No comments:

Post a Comment