Dreaming Of White Horses

I think this is what I spent many years in the 1960s doing. I was pony mad and read every book I could about little girls owning ponies or pony care books for children. I knew every piece of equipment I would need ready for when the time finally came. If I wasn't reading about ponies I was galloping around the house or garden singing the theme from White Horses pretending I was actually riding one. I bought this Music For Pleasure Surprise Surprise childrens 7" single at the local newsagents with my pocket money and practically wore it out playing it over and over again.

White Horses And The Unicorn Music For Pleasure Surprise Surprise Childrens 7" Single
White Horses And The Unicorn Music For Pleasure Surprise Surprise Childrens 7" Single

  These children's 7" singles were quite popular at the time and many songs in the charts had cover versions (some pretty dreadful to be honest) which sold in local shops at pocket money prices. They had a colour in picture on the back which I had not coloured in, rather surprisingly, as I loved colouring. Maybe I was just too busy galloping about!

Colouring In Picture On Music For Pleasure Childrens 7" Single
Colouring In Picture On Music For Pleasure Childrens 7" Single

  Sadly the closest I got to owning a pony or horse was my Troll horse who I called Danny Boy. I wonder what happened to him? I played the White Horses record today before I wrote this and all the memories came flooding back. I have been singing it all evening. I still haven't given up all hope of my pony, I just don't gallop about anymore when I think of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment