One Child's Treasured Toys

As it was a bank holiday yesterday we set off to a big car boot sale to try and search out some old toys. The sale was full of dealers who obviously do house clearances as there were boxes and boxes of old items laid out that looked as if they were just the contents of people's cupboards. It's so sad, peoples lives just thrown out and all their precious items lying on a field with a sign saying 50p each next to them. 

Among the souvenirs from Spanish holidays to old walking sticks I found a tatty little box. Inside were a few little toys. They were just the kind of things I would have kept in a little box as a child. I wonder how they ended up there and it just proves my idea that people keep things in strange little tins and boxes. This is what I found.


Precious Childhood Toys
Precious Childhood Toys
Wooden Push Up Toys
Two Wooden Push Up Toys

Mother Badger And Cub China Bell
Mother Badger And Cub China Bell

Wade Kitten With Ball Of Wool
Wade Kitten With Ball Of Wool

Real Fur Toy Squirrel
The Cutest Little Toy Squirrel
I'm not quite sure what I'll do with them but for £2 for all of them I couldn't leave them. They just had to be added to my vintage toy collection. I hope who ever had so carefully looked after them would be pleased.

I love finding toys that have been neglected and forgotten and fixing or cleaning them up. Another item I found yesterday was this Pelham Puppet of a Scotsman for a few pounds. It is terribly knotted but I'll have a go at sorting it out.


Pelham Puppet The Scotsman
Pelham Puppet The Scotsman

I don't really know much about Pelham Puppets. I did have one as a child but I'm not quite sure what happened to him. When I looked this puppet up he is actually called "The Drunken Scotsman" and should be holding a bottle of drink. How times and children's toys have changed!

No comments:

Post a Comment