Collecting Vintage Jigsaw Puzzles

I loved playing with jigsaws as a child. School holidays weren't complete without a half completed jigsaw puzzle at the end of the dining room table getting in everyone's way for days at a time. In this fast moving world with so many new toys added constantly, I'm not sure if today's children could be bothered with such a pastime. We however were happy to spend hours searching for each elusive piece of the puzzle.

What happened to all those jigsaw puzzles that were once stacked up in my toy cupboard? I'm not sure, but I know I can't resist the sight of an old Victory box with an evocative image on the front when I am searching the car boot sales. Here are two that I have found that are so typical of the type I loved.

Vintage Victory Jigsaw Kittens
Vintage Victory Jigsaw Kittens
The Treasure Ship Vintage Victory Jigsaw Puzzle
The Treasure Ship Vintage Victory Jigsaw Puzzle

When I found this jigsaw puzzle of The Treasure Ship it reminded me so much of a TV programme we all loved at the time. Who grew up in the 1960s and didn't love the old black and white programme of Robinson Crusoe? Those long hot summer holidays, when the sun always shone (I can't really remember it ever raining in those school holidays!) and we would watch Robinsoe Crusoe before going out for the day to play with friends. Is this possibly one of the most nostalgic tunes for children of the 1960s? It seems to have the power of making you feel both happy and terribly sad at the same time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment