A 1960s Birthday Teddy From Bentalls In Kingston

I spent my 6th birthday staying in London with family friends. It all seemed so busy with London buses and busy pavements, it felt almost as if we were in a different country.  On my birthday we went into Bentalls Department Store in Kingston to buy my present. The choice seemed overwhelming. I thought I had never been in such a big, impressive shop. 



Bentalls was established in 1867 by Frank Bentall who purchased a drapery shop in Kingston upon Thames. Between 1935 and 1976 it was the UK's largest department store outside central London. The grandeur of Bentalls was captured on the cover of this Ladybird book in the "People At Work Series".

Ladybird People At Work In A Big Store
Ladybird People At Work In A Big Store

To complete a perfect, exciting day out I chose this Burbank Talkative Teddy. He said phrases like "My Name's Talkative Teddy" and "I Like Honey". Sadly his voice box no longer works but he still sits on a chair in my bedroom, 50 years on and he is one of my favourite possessions.

Burbank Talkative Teddy
Burbank Talkative Teddy
Bentalls Department Store has been demolished now but the facade of the original store has been retained as part of the Bentall Centre shopping development which was opened in 1992. I suppose it is a sign of the times but at least there are still memories of those exciting days.

No comments:

Post a Comment