The Corgi Ice Cream Van

When I was a little girl in the 1960s the ice cream van seemed to call all the time. I would listen for the tinkling music of The Teddy Bears Picnic and ask for an ice cream. As soon as I sat down to eat my breakfast I would be asking "What time is the ice cream lady coming?" This is exactly how I remember the ice cream van looking.

Mr Softee Ice Cream Van
Mr Softee Ice Cream Van

 There was an incident that happened in my childhood that has made me remember these old ice cream vans very clearly.
My Grandparents had come to stay and I was so excited I ran upstairs to get a new toy I wanted to show them.  I'm not sure what I fell on, but I just remember the blood everywhere and worried faces looking down at me. An ambulance was called and I remember sitting in it, wrapped in a blanket looking out at my sister and my grandparents as we drove away. My main worry at the time was my little slippers that had horses on and were covered in blood! 
After what seemed like hours of hospital staff, stitches to my forehead and being separated from my Mum we arrived home in a taxi. Then the final trauma was my bloodied slippers being thrown in the fire! I was lying in the dining room on a little bed they had made up for me and my Dad came home from work. He gave me this little ice cream van and I was so thrilled, all of a sudden the whole day didn't matter. Today it is on a shelf in our kitchen and I still smile when I look at it. I almost remember the day as a happy memory when I look back all these years later!

1960s Corgi Toy No 428 Mister Softee Ice Cream Van
1960s Corgi Toy No 428 Mister Softee Ice Cream Van

No comments:

Post a Comment