Retro Cooking In The 1960s And 1970s

This week I bought a retro 1960s enamel pan from our local charity saleroom for £5. It's in lovely condition and very pretty. I am so pleased with it I haven't put it away in a cupboard but it has pride of place on top of the hob. 




It has made me think how different cooking and kitchens are now to the 1960s and 70s. I have several cookery books from this time and all the recipes are quite basic. Pot roast, shepherd's pie and meat pie all feature. Non of the recipes have more than 5 or 6 ingredients and pasta isn't mentioned once! I find these recipes very easy to follow and also not so overwhelming as there is not a great long list of obscure ingredients to buy.

I'm sure everyone who grew up in the 60s and 70s will remember Fanny Craddock and her cookery programmes on the TV. She was very proper and although her cooking was easy to follow I didn't think they were much fun.


However the TV chef I remember most clearly and fondly is Graham Kerr in The Galloping Gourmet.


He was, to put it mildly, energetic leaping around the studio, cracking jokes and swigging wine. I thought he was hilarious. More time was taken up with his jokes than cooking but to a 10 year old he made a boring subject entertaining. Looking back now as an adult I still love it!

I have added this clip of The Galloping Gourmet from youtube and it's worth watching just for the retro 1970s kitchen.


No comments:

Post a Comment