Restoring Old Toys

   I'm always looking out for old toys , or just any nice old item, that I can buy cheaply and restore. When I say restore it may not be everyone's idea of restoration as I like old things to look old. Probably fix up is a slightly better way of describing it, I still like the item to look as if it has been played with or used over the years. 
    When I was seven years old I had a toy farm. I remember it very clearly as I loved it so much. It had a base with farm buildings and I collected lots of farm animals with my pocket money. Most of these farm animals were made by the company Britains and it says a lot for the quality of them as not only did they survive me playing with them but my four children as well. Sadly the base of the farm was thrown out years ago but we still have a lot of the farm animals. Just waiting for a farm!
Yesterday at a car boot sale I spotted this farm for sale. It was only £1 which I thought was a brilliant price and perfect for a fixing up project. I think it is older than the 1960s farm I used to have but lovely and very well played with. You can almost see the little children over the years moving the farm animals around in it. I can't wait to start restoring it.

Vintage Toy Farm
Vintage Toy Farm
On the subject of fixing up I set to last night with the Pelham puppet the Drunken Scotsman who I have found out is called MacBoozle (!) and started unknotting his strings. Forty five minutes of untangling and here he is almost as good as new. I am on the look out for a replacement tam o'shanter for him which he has lost. He has also lost his bottle of drink but maybe that is for the best!

Pelham Puppet MacBoozle
Pelham Puppet MacBoozle

No comments:

Post a Comment